Friday, March 16, 2012

In Memoriam

Grandma Hamilton
August 13, 1911 - March 14, 2012

My grandmother passed away a few days ago. She was 100 years old and full of piss and vinegar. I cannot be there for the funeral this weekend. I'm just getting over the illness that's kept me down and out for the last four weeks, and as much as I'd like to jump on a plane today, I have to admit that I'm probably not in the greatest shape right now for a whirlwind trip.

My family started a tradition, of sorts, to write a letter to our loved ones that have passed as way to provide closure and pay our respects. I completed mine this morning and sent it off to my parents to be read at the prayer service and funeral. Needless to say, after spending a fair amount of time really pouring over memories from my childhood and all the quirky things that made up the essence of my grandma, I'm a bit of an emotional wreck and worn out from the experience. Here is an excerpt from my letter and a few things that my grandma taught me:

1. When there’s water in the basement, just shut the door and get some sleep; there’s nothing we can do about it anyway.


2. Cranberry juice is good for your kidneys and aloe vera plants are good for just about everything else.

3. Age ain’t nothin’ but a number.

4. It’s hard to beat popcorn made on the stovetop.

5. Short people can move faster than you think.

6. Green onions last longer and taste better if you stand them up in a glass of water in the refrigerator.

7. Everyone needs a little music in their life.

8. It doesn't matter what size, age, or gender you are, no one is allowed to push you around.

9. Even people with a tough-as-nails exterior can have a soft spot for stray animals.

10. We can overcome whatever life throws at us and still be okay on the other side.



Even when eternal peace is probably for the best in the end, we don't realize how much our loved ones touch our lives until the reality of their absence hits us in the face. So when you have a moment, tell the people you love how much they mean to you while they are still here to feel good about it. You'll be glad you did.

~Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment